Pistol Purchase Permit Application
Please read these instructions carefully before applying.
- MUST be a citizen of the United States
- Six month residency: Persons who have moved to Brunswick County from out of state, must have established residency in Brunswick County for a period of six months. Proof of residency must be provided upon request (driver’s license or ID card)
- Three month residency: Persons who have moved to Brunswick County from within the state of North Carolina must have established residency in Brunswick County for a period of more than three months. Proof of residency must be provided upon request.
- Applicants must be at least 21 years of age.
- When you have completed the application and have returned it to the Sheriff’s office, it will take up to 10, but no more than 30 business days for it to be processed. Once your application is approved, you will be contacted and set up for an appointment. After the 10 days, you may call to check the status, but please remember that due to a high volume of applications it can take the full 30 days. If your application is denied for any reason, you will be notified within 7 days.
- Upon approval, the Sheriff’s Office will keep the application on file for 30 days. After 30 days, it will be placed in inactive status and you will be required to complete another application.
- Permits are $5.00 each. Only cash will be accepted for payment. Correct change is requested. Permits are good for 5 years from the date of issuance. You will be required to present a picture ID with your current Brunswick County address when picking up your permit. No one will be able to pick up your permit for you.
- The applicant does not suffer from a physical or mental infirmity that prevents the safe handling of a handgun. The Sheriff will require the applicant to sign a release authorizing the Sheriff to receive physical and mental health records from a health care provider who has ever provided treatment or care to the applicant.
- The applicant must successfully complete an approved firearms safety and training course and deliver to the Sheriff proof of certification.
- A Concealed Gun Permit may be applied for at the main Office in Bolivia or the two substations located in Winnabow and Calabash. If you have any questions regarding the pistol permit purchase application process, please call (Main Office) at 910-253-2734, Debbie Wilson (South end Substation) 910-579-7030, Valerie Sloan (North end Substation) 910-383-3352
Concealed Gun Permit Information
North Carolina State Law requires when approached or addressed by any officer, you must IMMEDIATELY disclose the fact that you have a valid concealed handgun permit and inform the officer that you are in possession of a concealed handgun. You should not attempt to draw or display either your weapon or your permit to the officer unless and until he directs you to do so. Your hands are to be kept in plain view and you are not to make any sudden movements.
THE DOS AND DONTS OF CARRYING A CONCEALED HANDGUN:
- Your permit to carry a concealed handgun must be carried along with valid identification whenever the handgun is being carried concealed.
- When approached or addressed by any officer, you must disclose the fact that you have a valid concealed handgun permit and inform the officer that you are in possession of a concealed handgun. You should not attempt to draw or display either your weapon or your permit to the officer unless and until he directs you to do so. Your hands are to be kept in plain view and you are not to make any sudden movements.
- At the request of any law enforcement officer, you must display both the permit and valid identification.
- You must present your expired permit to renew a concealed permit.
- You may not, with or without a permit, carry a concealed weapon while consuming alcohol or while alcohol or any controlled substances are in your blood unless the controlled substance was obtained legally and taken in therapeutically appropriate amounts.
- You must notify the Sheriff who issued the permit of any address change within thirty days of the change of address.
- If the permit is lost or destroyed, you must notify the Sheriff who issued the permit and you may receive a duplicate permit by submitting a notarized statement to that effect along with the required fee. Do not carry a handgun without it.
- Even with a permit, you may not carry a concealed handgun in the following areas:
- Any law enforcement or correctional facility
- Any space occupied by state or federal employees
- A financial institution
- Any premises where the carrying of a concealed handgun is prohibited by the posting of a statement by the controller of the premises
- Educational property
- Areas of assemblies, parades, funerals, or demonstrations
- Places where alcoholic beverages are consumed
- State occupied property
- Any state or federal courthouse
- In an area prohibited by federal law
- Any local government building that has adopted an ordinance and posted signs prohibiting concealed carry.
Gun Permit Fees
$5.00 each ………………Gun Permits (maximum of 3 per application) ($3 convenience fee to apply online)
$90.00 …………………..Original Concealed Gun Permits
$75.00 …………………..Renewal Concealed Gun Permits
$15.00 …………………..Duplicate Concealed Gun Permits
*Payment for Concealed Gun Permits may be made in the form of Cash only. You MUST show proof of residency and a Picture ID with correct address. No PO Box. Purchase permits can take up to 30 days to process.
*Military Personnel must have Picture ID and form from Provost Marshal’s Office. (Army 1380 Form) (Air Force SL Form)